The Basel Minster (German: Basler Münster) is one of the main landmarks and tourist attractions of the Swiss city of Basel.
It adds definition to the cityscape with its red sandstone architecture and coloured roof tiles, its two slim towers and the cross-shaped intersection of the main roof.
Even though supported by massive pillars, an earthquake in 1356 destroyed five towers, the choir and various vaults.
Built on the old foundations of the Haito Minster some time after the turn of the first millennium a new building in the early Romanesque style of the Ottonian period was built by order of Bishop Adalberto II (approx. Sometimes called “Adalberto Cathedral”, the three-nave cathedral is actually named after its patron Emperor Henry II, in German “Heinrich”.The building as it stands today dates back for the most part to the late Romanesque building constructed in the last third of the 12th century and completed around 1225. Single haushalt kosten lebensmittel On the foundations of the previous buildings a church with three naves and a transept was built.The late Romanesque building was destroyed by the 1356 Basel earthquake and rebuilt by Johannes Gmünd, who was at the same time employed for building the Freiburg Münster.This building was extended from 1421 by Ulrich von Ensingen, architect of the cathedral towers at Ulm and Strasbourg.
Date portal Münster
In 1421 Ulrich von Ensingen, who constructed the towers of the minsters in Ulm and Strasbourg, began the extension of the northern tower (Georgsturm). The southern tower (Martinsturm) was completed by Hans von Nussdorf on 23 July 1500.This date marks the official architectural completion of the minster.If the file has been modified from its original state, some details such as the timestamp may not fully reflect those of the original file. The timestamp is only as accurate as the clock in the camera, and it may be completely wrong.In the 15th century the major and the minor cloisters were added.
The minster served as a bishop’s see until 1529 during the Reformation.The southern tower was completed in 1500 by Hans von Nußdorf.The hill on which the Minster is located today was already a building site in the late Celtic Era in first century BC.This road parted at today's position of the Minster where once assumedly was a small temple which later was replaced by a Roman fort.The first bishop of Basel is claimed to be Justinianus 343-346 AC.